Partial dentures are similar to complete dentures, except instead of filling your entire mouth with beautiful teeth, the partial denture replaces only a few missing teeth in a row. This is a great option for those who wish to replace their missing teeth, complete their smile, and have the freedom they need in an appliance.
A partial denture has a pink, gum-like base and false teeth connected to the top or bottom, depending on which type of denture it is. It is a removable appliance that is placed into the gap of your smile and clasped to the remaining teeth that lie on both sides. It is important that you care for the denture when it is both in and out of your mouth. If you do not, it is likely that it will begin to warp as well as dry out, which will make it so it will no longer fit perfectly in your smile.
While improving your oral health with a partial denture, you can expect the following:
· The denture may feel a bit awkward when you first wear it in the beginning. It may also feel bulky. This is completely normal. However, with some practice, it will feel natural in no time.
· You will need to practice removing as well as inserting the appliance because it may be a tricky task at first.
· Your dentist will give you the instructions you need regarding when, where, and how long to wear the denture. Dr. Nathalie Dowsett will also explain how to care for the denture when it is in and out of your mouth.
· Eating might be a difficult thing to do, but with some practice, you will be able to eat solid foods in no time. Until then, try eating small, soft foods until you get used to the muscle, tongue, and jaw movements.
· You might have a tough time speaking at first, but that is completely normal. To help with this problem, simply read words out loud and repeat the words that give you trouble.
Now that you know all about partial dentures, call our office today at 403.229.0510 and see if it is the right solution for you. We are happy to meet with you, examine your smile, and decide if this is the best option for you. We look forward to working with you!